A SCHOOLS GO SURFING TRIP TO
Cantabria is an authentic region in northern Spain, renowned for its natural beauty, contrasting landscapes and reliable beach breaks. Green meadows and beautiful beaches separate a superbly blue ocean and snow-capped mountains. With 280 kilometres of coastline, regular sandbanks and Atlantic swells, Cantabria is arguably the best surfing destination in all of mainland Spain.
Join us at Star Surf’s bohemian surf camp in the heart of the Oyambre Natural Park. The local Playa de Oyambre beach break is just a 10-minute walk from the surf camp; an idyllic surf spot for beginner and intermediate surf lessons. Flights, accommodation, daily surf lessons, yoga classes, SUP tours, day trips and all overseas meals and transport are included within our school surf trips to Cantabria.
(20°C to 25°C Jun-Sep)
(20°C to 25°C Jun-Sep)
SURFING IN CANTABRIA
The Oyambra area of Cantabria is a great place to learn to surf, hoovering up those westerly swells that come across the Bay of Biscay on route to France. Cantabria’s long and sloping beaches produce beginner and intermediate-friendly waves during the summer, providing gentle, clean and glassy surf conditions. Your surf lessons will primarily occur at Playa de Oyambre, a west-facing beach break.
A TYPICAL DAY SURFING
Start the day with a continental buffet breakfast, including fresh pastries and daily cooked dishes. Prepare your packed lunches at the surf camp, then walk to the beach for a fun and progressive morning surf lesson. In groups of no more than eight students, you will receive a two-hour practical surf lesson. Following lunch, you will receive a second surf lesson or other activities, such as yoga or a SUP tour.
Star Surf is renowned for its fun, professional and enthusiastic approach to teaching surfing. Their surf school is situated within the surf camp and includes an international team of professional instructors. You will receive coaching from the beach and in the water, helping you to catch the best waves possible.
The surf lessons will mostly take place on Playa Oyambre, the local beach break. Your two-hour practical surf lessons will be supported by surf theory, learning about water safety, rip currents and how to read the conditions and hazards of every surf break.
The surf instructors at Star Surf are qualified and fully licensed in Spain; they hold beach lifeguard and surf instructor qualifications. They have a good understanding of the local surf spots and teach in maximum groups of eight students per instructor.
All equipment is included with your surf lessons; we recommend bringing your own wetsuit if you already have one. The surf school uses foam surfboards for their surf lessons, which are great for beginners to catch the most waves and avoid injury.
The surf camp includes a private yoga platform with views stretching across rolling green hills to snow-capped mountains. Star Surf’s enthusiastic yoga instructors ensure every yoga class is fun and accessible for ‘yogis’ of all levels.
Nature Trail Hikes & SUP Tours
Join us on nature trail hikes through Oyambre’s Natural Park. Alternatively, choose to explore the nature reserve on Stand Up Paddleboarding tours.
Surf Camp Activities
Surf camp activities include yoga, volleyball, ping pong tables, balance trainers and table football. Further options include multiple hammocks, an outdoor cinema and relaxing areas for reading or being creative.
Our team will organise beach games during your free time, including beach football, volleyball and rounders.
TRIPS & EXCURSIONS
Comillas Day Trip
On this memorable day trip, we visit the charming Spanish town of Comillas, located between majestic mountains and beautiful beaches. Explore the historical sites, grand architecture, delicious eateries and delightful local shops. We include transport, guiding and free time.
Bilbao Day Trip
In partnership with the Star Surf team, we organise a shuttle bus to take your school group to see Bilbao, the secret capital of the Basque Country. Bilbao is arguably the most beautiful city in the North of Spain, and a visit to the Guggenheim Art Museum is definitely worth your while. The Bilbao day trip is an optional extra, which must be agreed in advance.
SURF CAMP ACCOMMODATION
Pitched within the Oyambre Nature Reserve and among rolling green hills, experience a fun, social and unforgettable surf camp stay. Your furnished bohemian glamping tents include electricity, memory foam mattresses and a bedding set. Further onsite facilities include a shaded seating area for eating and entertaining, hammocks, games, an outdoor cinema and a yoga deck with mountain views. The surf camp is part of a larger campsite, benefiting from a restaurant, café, kiosk, swimming pool and several shower blocks.
All bell tents have a centre pole and interior mesh zip curtains. They also come with mesh windows at the base for better ventilation.
The tents are tall enough to stand up in and come fully equipped with an electricity socket and night time lighting. They also include single memory foam mattresses and all bedding for a good nights’ sleep.
Student Bell Tents
The bell tents are designed to accommodate two or three students per tent.
Staff Bell Tents
The travelling teachers will receive a private bell tent each.
- Shaded seating and eating areas
- Raised chill-out platforms
- Private surf camp yoga deck
- Male and female toilet and shower blocks
- Private volleyball court
- Outdoor cinema
- Ping pong table
- Equipment storage room
- Free Wi-Fi
- Surf camp reception, cleaning & maintenance team
- Memory foam mattresses and bedding
- Unlimited drinking water
- Unlimited tea & coffee
- Onsite surf camp chef
- Campsite kiosk, cafe and swimming pool
- Every morning between 9 am, and 11 am the surf camp team prepares a breakfast buffet. This includes tea, coffee, juices, and milk; cereals, fresh bread, cakes and a variation of spreads and jams. Cheese, cold meats, fresh fruit and daily cooked items are also provided.
- The students will prepare their packed lunches at breakfast, including fresh sandwiches, salads, snacks and soft drinks.
- The onsite surf camp chef will prepare a varied and fresh dinner buffet every evening, with vegetarian and vegan options available upon request.
- Visa documents (if required)
- Spending money
- Personal medication
- Sunscreen, after-sun and moisturiser
- Sunglasses and sun hat
- Personal toiletries
- Day backpack and reusable water bottle
- Clothing including a warm jumper and waterproof jacket
- Flip flops
- Trainers for walking
- Shower gel and bath towel
- Beachwear and beach towel
- Tableware (plates, bowls, etc.)
- Tupperware box for your packed lunch
- Cup or mug
- Torch / Lantern / Head Torch (Plus extra batteries)
- European travel adapter
- Anti-Bacterial Hand wash
- Insect Repellent
- Toilet Roll
- Wet Wipes – For easy, quick cleaning
FULLY INCLUSIVE SCHOOL TRIP PACKAGES
- International flights
- One hold bag per passenger
- Overseas airport transfers
- All overseas transport
- Friendly surf camp accommodation
- Furnished bell tents
- Entertaining onsite facilities
- Bedding & Wi-Fi included
Food & Drink
- Continental breakfast with hot items
- Healthy packed lunch
- Delicious surf camp evening meals
- Unlimited water, tea and coffee
- Daily surf lessons
- Private outdoor yoga classes
- SUP tours & beach games
- Surf camp activities
- Day trip to Comillas
- Visit Bilbao (optional)
- Sociable surf camp BBQ
- Live music and open mic night
- Outdoor movie night
- Surf camp quiz and games
- Watch mesmerising sunsets
Support & Insurance
- Free staff travel (1:10)
- Schools Go Surfing Trip Leader
- Dedicated overseas surf camp team
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Financial protection (ATOL)
Merchandise & Extras
- Sustainable Nolla water bottle
- High-quality surf tour hoody
- Bespoke Vamoos travel app account
- Photography (with permission)
- Carbon offsetting contribution