A SCHOOLS GO SURFING TRIP TO
Ericeira is often referred to as the Mecca of European surfing, where a thriving surf culture blends with a traditional Portuguese harbour town. Cobbled streets and bustling cafes integrate with outstanding surf breaks and a friendly surf community; all within walking distance from the Chill In Surf Camp. Ericeira is just a 40-minute drive from Lisbon airport and provides epic conditions for every surf level, even during the summer months.
Chill In Ericeira is situated at the top of a hill, guaranteeing unrestricted views across the town and surrounding surf spots. The surf camp is made up of three separate surf houses, accommodating groups of 20 to 40 students. Our Schools Go Surfing packages include flights, transfers and all overseas meals; daily surf lessons, yoga classes and varied excursions to Lisbon, Sintra and Cabo da Roca.
mild and wet winters
mild and wet winters
SURFING IN ERICEIRA
Renowned as the surf capital of Portugal, Ericeira offers a truly staggering variety of waves and conditions for every level of surfer. The forgiving beach breaks are perfectly suited to our school groups, mostly consisting of beginner and intermediate students. Expect pleasant and sunny weather, but cooler sea temperatures. In this part of the Atlantic, you will have to wear a wetsuit whatever the season. In 2011 Ericeira became a World Surfing Reserve, the only one in Europe.
A TYPICAL DAY SURFING
Begin the day with a healthy continental breakfast and breath-taking sea views from the surf house. Pack your day bags and meet at the surf school to collect your equipment. Transfers are included to the nearby beach breaks, such as Foz do Lizandro and Sao Juliao. Following a fun warm-up and introduction, join your surf group and begin a two-hour practical surf lesson. Enjoy free time on the beach before returning to the surf camp for the remainder of your daily schedule.
Whether you are a complete beginner or proven surfer, Chill In Ericeira's surf school will cater for your needs, providing surf lessons to suit every level. Beginner and intermediate surf lessons take place at Foz do Lizandro, a very surf-friendly beach break. Beach transfers and all equipment are included.
Each surf lesson will last over two hours upon arrival at the beach, with at least 90 minutes in the water. Each lesson consists of a warm-up, theory and practical time in the water.
The surf school will separate the students into small groups to best match their surf levels, which range from level one to six. The surf lessons cater for every level of surfer, from complete beginners to experienced surfers and everyone in between.
Chill In Ericeira operates an experienced and highly reputable surf school, consisting of English speaking and fully qualified surf instructors. The surf team includes Joana Rocha, a national surfing champion and Portugal's first professional female surfer.
Yoga is a fantastic way to relax, unwind and improve your balance; both physically and mentally. You will receive two private yoga sessions delivered by a qualified yoga instructor.
Visit a Surfboard Shaper
Visit one of Ericeira's most famous surfboard shapers. A professional shaper will explain the technical aspects and design of a surfboard.
Surf Camp Activities
The surf house includes several indoor and outdoor chill-out areas for relaxing and entertaining. Socialise in one of the sea view terraces, practice yoga, watch films or get competitive with table football and card games.
Explore the picturesque town of Ericeira during your free time, situated a short walk from the surf house. Experience the unique fusion of Portuguese heritage with a cool surfing ambience. Visit the shops, cafes, restaurants and harbour.
TRIPS & EXCURSIONS
Lisbon Day Trip
Explore Portugal’s capital coastal city, Lisbon. Following a morning surf lesson, we embark on a guided tour amongst Lisbon’s landmarks. We then offer the students free time to explore the city and visit the shops before returning to Ericeira.
Visit Sintra Town
Sintra is a charming Portuguese town situated within the hills of the Serra de Sintra. Hidden within these pine-covered hills are extravagant palaces, ancient castles and beautiful natural scenery. Sintra is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Cabo da Roca
Cabo de Roca is Europe's most Westerly point. Following our trip to Sintra, we’ll stop off at Cabo da Roca and the lighthouse for a group photo.
SURF HOUSE ACCOMMODATION
We accommodate groups of 20 to 40 students in three neighbouring surf houses on the outskirts of Ericeira. Wake up to sea views and stay within a five-minute walk from Ericeira’s beaches and town centre. The surf houses combine elegant interior design with spacious and entertaining outdoor space. Each house has its own kitchen and communal living area, as well as outdoor terraces and several bathrooms; creating a sociable and comfortable environment. Further facilities include a yoga deck, movie rooms, sunbathing terraces, table football and private courtyards for eating and entertaining.
Two dorm rooms provide spacious, light and comfortable sleeping arrangements for up to eight students within each room. The first dorm room includes eight single beds, and the second dorm room consists of four high-quality bunk beds with shared bathrooms.
15 twin rooms accommodate both students and individual staff members. Each twin room consists of two separate beds, storage and unique designs with ensuite or shared bathrooms. The twin rooms offer sea or land views and plenty of light and home comforts.
- Indoor and outdoor terraces for socialising.
- Large courtyard for eating and entertaining.
- Rooftop yoga platform and sunbathing terraces.
- Multiple living rooms for relaxing and watching films.
- Breakfast rooms.
- Table football and varied surf house games.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Surf camp management team
- Daily cleaning
- Bed linen and bath towels
- Unlimited drinking water
- Unlimited tea & coffee
- All overseas meals are included, and we provide free refillable drinking water and unlimited tea and coffee.
- A continental breakfast will be arranged at each surf house every morning and includes varied fresh breakfast items, juices, tea and coffee.
- You will receive a packed lunch on the beach or buffet lunch at the surf house.
- Chill In Ericeira’s team cooks hearty and delicious meals every evening, including BBQ nights and buffets consisting of pasta and rice dishes; vegetables, fish and meats.
- At least one evening we’ll pre-book a restaurant in Ericeira for a sociable and authentic evening, with a meal and soft drink included.
- Vegan and vegetarian options are available.
- Visa documents (if required)
- Spending money
- Personal medication
- Beach towel
- Sunscreen, after-sun and moisturiser
- Sunglasses and sun hat
- European travel adapter
- Personal toiletries
- Day backpack and reusable water bottle
- Clothing incl. warm jumper or jacket for the evenings
- Flip flops
- Trainers for walking
- A camera to capture your favourite moments!
FULLY INCLUSIVE SCHOOL TRIP PACKAGES
- International flights
- One hold bag per passenger
- Overseas airport transfers
- All overseas transport
- Private surf house accommodation
- Dorm & twin room options
- Bed linen, bath towels & Wi-Fi
- Varied and private facilities
Food & Drink
- Daily buffet breakfast
- Healthy lunch options
- Freshly prepared surf camp dinner
- Unlimited water, tea and coffee
- Comprehensive surf course
- Surf theory
- Yoga classes twice a week
- Free time in Ericeira
- Half-day trip to Lisbon
- Half-day trip Sintra
- Visit Cabo da Roca
- Sociable surf camp BBQ
- Games and movie nights
- Free time in Ericeira
- Live music
Support & Insurance
- Free staff travel (1:10)
- Schools Go Surfing Trip Leader
- Dedicated overseas surf camp team
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Financial protection (ATOL)
Merchandise & Extras
- Sustainable Nolla water bottle
- High-quality surf tour hoody
- Bespoke Vamoos travel app account
- Photography (with permission)
- Carbon offsetting contribution